We digital advertisers love our acronyms. We use them constantly, whether in emails, over the phone, or (gasp) in-person. In fact, some people have it so bad that this acronym obsession has extended beyond digital advertising to just about anything someone says (I’m totally not talking about my roommate Jon).
And to be fair, digital advertising is tough because there IS so much to know. There are so many phrases and specifics that when it comes down to it, it’s much easier to use short hand than to write out "Designated Market Area" (wow… that took like 15 seconds to write. DMA is so much faster.) every time you send that info to a client.
However, as someone who is relatively new to the digital advertising space, it’s often frustrating (and even embarrassing) when new acronyms arrive in your inbox and you have NO IDEA what they mean.
So, to help you and me and everyone out there that didn’t know what ROAS was the first time they saw it, I’ve put together a list of EDAA or Essential Digital Advertising Acronyms that can help every marketer out there know what the heck that other person (probably your vendor or strategic partner) is talking about.
Special thanks to Michael Novosel, Dan Karson, and Michael Mojahed for helping me put these together.
EDAA (Essential Digital Advertising Acronyms)
- DMA (Designated Market Area)
- DSP (Demand Side Platform)
- ROAS (Return on Ad Spend)
- POP (Point of Purchase)
- RTB (Real-Time Bidding)
- VAST (Video Ad Serving Template)
- VPAID (Video Player Ad Interface Definition)
- TRP (Target Rating Point)
- MMM (Mixed Media Modeling)
- MRAID (Rich Media Player Ad Interface Definition)
- OOH (Out-of-Home)
- MTA (Multi Touch Attribution)
- DMP (Data Management Platform)
- CTR (Click Through Rate)
- CPM (Cost Per Thousand Impressions)
- CPC (Cost Per Click)
- EOD (End of Day)
- EOW (End of Week)
- KPI (Key Performance Indicator)
- PPC (Pay Per Click)
- PPV (Pay Per View)
- VTC (View Thru Click)
- CPL (Cost Per Lead)
- CTA (Call To Action)
- RTB (Real Time Bidding)
- IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau)
- ROS (Run of Site)
- RON (Run of Network)
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- SOV (Share of Voice)
- CPA (Cost Per Acquisition)
- ROI (Return On Investment)
- PII (Personally Identifiable Information)